Bulgar with swiss chard & shrimps
I have always hesitated to use Swiss Chard in my cooking but some time ago I had lunch at a friend’s place and she prepared Bulgar with Swiss chard and shrimps for me that day. I was so surprised that I didn’t taste the bitterness of the Swiss Chard.
And tonight I attempted to improvise at home and the whole family likes it. So I decided to quickly blog this for future use again. I would like to use more bulgar in my cooking, it’s so easy to prepare, yet healthy and delicious. Bulgar is always seen in salads or Tabbouleh for example but it’s also delicious as a warm dish. The coarse bulgar does not taste coarse at all. The cooking method is close to that of risotto.
- 400g Swiss chard, separate white and green parts, cut the white stem parts into small cubes, green parts chopped briefly
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 150g champignons, cut into cubes
- 300g shrimps, deveined
- 2.5 cups of coarse bulgar
- 800-1000ml Chicken stock
- 4 tbsp Concentrated Tomato purée
- 3/4 cup Toasted pine nuts
- Pinches of cumin
- Pinches of smokes paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- salt & pepper
- Extra virgin Olive oil
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a deep pan to high heat, add in some olive oil. Sauté the chopped onion, garlic for 2 mins then add in the shrimps, stir occasionally. Remove the shrimps to a plate when they are 70% cooked, set aside.
- Add the white parts of the Swiss chard to the pan and sauté for a few minutes, then add in the champignons and keep stirring for another few minutes. Add in the tomato purée and bulgar, mix well. Sautéed the bulgar mix for 3-4 mins.
- Pour in 1/3 of the chicken stock, stir and simmer for about 15 mins. In the meantime, pour in other 1/3 of the stock gradually when the liquid is absorbed.
- Season with pinches of cumin powder, smoked paprika and fresh ground black pepper.
- On a separate small pan, toast the pine nuts until golden brown.
- Pour in the remaining stock and toss in the shrimps and toasted pine nuts, cook for the last 5 mins or so. Taste to see if need more seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Served immediately when hot. Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top as desired.