Raw red beet & carrot salad
Last Saturday I finally visited Lörrach food market in Germany which happens every Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I was never keen to go to the food market across the German border but since I have had some German lessons since January, I am more excited to explore more in Germany. I am not even close to fluent yet, still a long long way to go but the big difference in the exchange rate between Euros and Swiss Francs. We can really save a lot from shopping in Germany. Previously I preferred to go across the French border (St. Louis and Mulhouse) because I can communicate better in French. Now it’s time to explore the German side.
I am lovin’ Lörrach already, I have actually been there numerous times but every time it was Sunday, so all shops are closed and only very few people on the streets. Today was totally different, the city centre was so vibrant because the gorgeous sunny weather. After we did some groceries, we were very lucky to get an outside table at Hotel Drei Koenig.
Markplatz, Lörrach (Tues, Thurs, Sat); 7am -1pm
That day I found the long shaped red beets instead of the round ones and I immediately bought a bunch to try despite I knew I would not use them immediately. When I got home, I wrapped them with newspaper and then the plastic bag and they kept well in the fridge, still very firm. Same for the baby carrots, these small ones taste way better than the bigger ones in the supermarket. I made a raw beet & carrot salad yesterday to go with tabbouleh and Aldi’s oven baked red pepper with cheese filling. It felt like eating at Tibits in Basel town. It’s the first time I make raw beet salad. It was adapted from Chocolate & Zucchini’s blog. Raw beets do taste a bit more earthy but without boiling, it tastes refreshing and quick to prepare.
- 300g raw beetroots (get small young ones with smooth skin and firm flesh)
- 100g raw carrots
- a handful of pine nuts, sunflower seeds & pumpkin seeds
- 2 cloves Garlic – minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- a few drops of Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- a pinch of Smoked sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, grated
- Leafy fresh herbs (cilantro, or parsley), chopped
- Baby spinach leaves
- Shaved parmesan or any cheese (optional)
- Wash and peel the beets and carrots. Grate them with a food processor or a grater.
- Place them in a large bowl. Toss in the nuts and the ingredients of the dressing. Mix well.
- Set aside for at least 30 minutes before serving. The juice from the beets and carrots will make the salad more moist. If you want to serve immediately, add a dash of lemon juice or tomato juice to make the salad moist.
- Serve at room temperature as a side dish or part of your salad platter.