Mini Tomato Mozzarelline Skewers
In Switzerland, it is very easy to buy mozzarella, in all sizes. These mini mozzarella (mozzarelline) is perfect to serve as a snack with an aperitif. I have a lot of basil leaves at home and wonder how I can use them, by chance I saw these lovely different colors cherry tomatoes in round and oval shape. Would be a pity if I don’t buy some. The other day I had the same snack at an apéro, but they did not taste very well. Too simple, they just put the whole cherry tomato and peppered mini mozzarelline together as a skewer. Therefore with that in mind, I improved my version by giving an extra effort by cutting the tomatoes into halves and seasoned with a little fleur de sel and pepper and drizzled some extra virgin olive oil and aceto balsamic glaze as a finishing touch. It immediately made a total difference.
- 1 pack mozzarelline (20 pcs per pack in the one I got)
- 20 cherry tomatoes (diverse ones if you can find: red, yellow, green)
- fresh basil leaves
- fresh ground pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Fine sea salt or Fleur de sel
- Aceto Balsamic glaze
- 20 toothpicks
- Empty the pack of mozzarelline into a bowl, drain and discard liquid from the pack. Sprinkle some fresh ground black pepper, toss and set aside.
- Wash and pat dry some fresh basil leaves, split into 2 pieces if the leaves are big.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into half and sprinkle a little fleur de sel or sea salt.
- On each toothpick, add the following ingredients in the following sequence: Half cherry tomato → a small piece of basil leaf → a lightly peppered mozzarelline → another small piece of basil leaf → half cherry tomato
- Place them on a serving plate, drizzle some best quality of EVOO
- You can drizzle some aceto balsamico glaze on top or pour some in a small dish and serve aside. The reason why I choose to use the glaze version is because it’s thicker and less messy when you serve as a finger food.
- Feel free to make multiple portions if you have more guests accordingly.