Curried Tofu Melon Salad
I admit that I love meat especially a nice piece of steak or rack of lamb. I cannot imagine myself can become a vegan totally but occasionally I would have some meat free days especially when I want to lose some weight.
Going to a vegetarian restaurant usually will make me turning my head immediately, however, there is a place which have made me changed my mind towards veggie dishes. This is Hiltl in Zurich and its veggie fast food chain, Tibits. Hiltl is more formal, with sit in à la carte area , and a bar lounge just next to it. This place is so popular and packed at all times that you have to give the table to them after an hour or so. Tibits is a veggie fast food restaurant chain, it seems to be expanding its business outside Switzerland, the first one is UK. Anyway, I had lunch with a friend for the first time last year and was totally amazed that the veggie buffet is not boring at all and they have so much varieties and the ones I picked were all tasty. The stuffed jalapeño peppers are finger-licking. There is this Curried Tofu Melon I sampled was a surprised to me, it was so memorable that I wanted to look for the recipe but I could not find it in their cookbooks. And after months, I am still thinking of it from time to time, so I took the courage and tried to make it myself with my imagine and even add a little more ingredients to it. The results was great, Peter sounds skeptical over the phone when I told him that I was going to experiment a curry salad with melon and tofu. He made a remark: “interesting combination”. The only thing I would have to improve next time is to use less curry powder, otherwise it was just what I was looking for. I am very happy and has got me in a mood to explore more vegan dishes. That evening I have prepared a quinoa salad, bare with me, it will be my next post.
- 1 pack firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 cantaloupe melon, scoop into balls using a melon baller
- 1 small carrot, shred into thin pieces
- handful of a mix of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
Curry Salad Dressing:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp curry powder (I used madras)
- 1 tbsp condensed milk
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp fleur de sel
- juice of 1/4 lime
- Prepare the tofu, melon and carrots as described above. Blanched the tofu for a few minutes in boiled water, then drain well to remove the water. Pat dry the tofu cubes to remove excess water and let dry and cool down.
- Toss the tofu, melon and carrot in a serving bowl, set aside.
- In a small bowl, prepare the dressing by mixing all ingredients together.
- Pour the dressing into the tofu mixture and chill in the fridge for about an hour so the flavor will emerge.
- Just below serving, sprinkle the seeds and chopped coriander and mix well. Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves and serve immediately.
Suitable to be used in dinner parties or a vegetarian evening.