grilled mahi-mahi teriyaki & tomato cucumber salad
Yesterday Peter and I went for a short Autumn hike in Wasserfallen-Regioldswil in Basel Land. We first took a cable car up and then the hike began. We chose the route direction to the Passwang, if you are lucky with the weather, on top you can see as far as to the Alps, the Jungfrau. By the time we got home, it was late afternoon and we both have tired legs. So I chose to make something relatively simple and nice. The Teriyaki and salad were both quick and easy to prepare.
After all the preparation, I could relax and go to take a shower before doing the rest of the cooking. I served the mahi mahi with Japanese rice and some black glutinuous rice. You can use some wild rice instead. To go along side, I made a quick refreshing salad with tomatoes, cucumber, mint and coriander, see recipe at the bottom.
Taken at Passwang, Basel
GRILLED MAHI MAHI TERIYAKI
- 2 Mahi Mahi fillets
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp Kikkoman teriyaki sauce or make from scatch* (see below)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- juice of 1/4 lemon juice
- juice of 1/4 lime juice
*Teriyaki sauce making from scratch:
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
Mix ingredients together in a bowl, stir until the sugar is solved. Store in a bottle and keep in the fridge.
Thicken to a topping Sauce:
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp Corn starch
- Prepare the marinade by mixing the above ingredients in a big bowl.
- Wash and pat dry the fish with kitchen towel. Place the fish into the marinade for about an hour.
- Heat up a griddle pan, brush with olive oil. Turn to high heat. When it is hot enough, place the mahi mahi on the pan and grill 3-4 minutes on each side. To keep the moisture inside the fish but not over cooking it, turn the heat down to medium high heat after the first 2 mins and cover the pan for the last 2 mins.
- In the meantime, the marinade can be made into a sauce. Simply pour the remaining marinade into a saucepan, add the corn flour & dark soy sauce, stir to dissolve. Heat to boil, pour into a sauce pot.
- Serve the fish immediately with rice, sauce and vegetables you desire.
TOMATO CUCUMBER SALAD
- 3 tomatoes, deseeded, cubed
- 1 cucumber, deseeded, cubed
- few sprigs coriander, cut into small pieces
- 10 mint leaves, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- pinches of freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Place the tomatoes, cucumber, mint and coriander in a salad bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the above in a bowl and pour to the salad.
- Set aside for an hour or until the main course is ready.