Recently when I went to the food market in Mulhouse, Alsace, I was very happy to find some round courgettes. The best dish is make French courgettes farcies (stuffed courgettes). I have come up a fusion idea to stuff with a nepalese style pork curry.
This dry, fragrant Nepalese curry, made with pork mince and usually served with steamed rice and lime wedges, is one of this small Himalayan country’s most popular meat dishes.
- 3-4 medium round courgettes
- 400g minced pork
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4cm piece fresh ginger (20g), grated
- 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped mint leaves
- lime wedges
- Wash courgettes and trim off ends. Cut the courgette top to use this as a cover, scoop out the seeds with a grapefruit knife or using knife and spoon. Rub the inside and outside with olive oil.
- Roast the pine nuts by tossing them in a small pan at medium high heat. Stop when the pine nuts turn golden brown. Transfer the pine nuts
- Heat oil in a wok or pan, add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and coriander seeds, stir fry for about 2 minutes, when the seeds starts popping. Add in the cumin, turmeric and garam masala and stir fry for another 2 mins.
- Next add in the garlic, ginger and onion to the wok, stir fry until onion is almost cooked.
- Add the minced pork and continue to stir fry.
- Add the water and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the water is evaporated. In the meantime preheat oven at 170ºC.
- Season with a little salt stir in the pine nuts and coriander.
- Scoop the pork curry into the courgettes, and bake in the oven for 15 mins.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Alternatively, you can mix in camargue (red rice) :
Soak 1 cup camargue (red rice) in water for 1 hour, wash and drain
Cook as per pack instructions, it generally takes about 35-40 mins. Drain the rice and mix into the pork curry.